Saturday, September 22, 2018

Reflection on Trends and Challenges of Writing

happy jonah hill GIF



What an interesting week and I can't wait to share with you ALLLL that I learnt!

Well, not all.... just the ones that really stood out. So, stay with me as we travel back in time...

back to the future waiting GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
There were twenty-five (25) trends in Writing that were given to us and since we are a class of twenty- five, it was only PUURFECT that we each took one.
genius GIF
What was even MORE genius was the fact that each student had to share what they knew about the trend they received, then 

demonstrate it with the class! And oh my god omg GIF by Hell's Kitchen it made the trends soooo understandable AND FUN! I also really liked that we were able to record for ourselves the meaning of each trend and what we thought about it after each demonstration. 

I especially liked publishing writing, maintaining a collection of writing to create a portrait of students' writing history, teaching writing explicitly (Gradual Release of Responsibility Model), digital story-telling (which by the way was what I demonstrated😃) and inquiry activities.

After given all the trends in writing I thought to myself that these are so perfect, there's NO WAY students could find writing hard! That was until I learnt of seven (7) challenges to teaching writing. 
shocked oh my god GIF

Yep! writing requires many skills and so does the writer. But luckily my classmates and I thought of trends to combat these challenges!
relieved relief GIF

I was really impressed (to say the least) at especially the gallery walk! I realized that I can create an adventure for my students right within the classroom using pictures or even live demonstrations so that they can 'write from experience'. But, think alouds were great too! On that note I have a confession to make....

I USE TO HATE WHEN STUDENTS SPEAK OUT LOUD WHILE WRITING BECAUSE I THOUGHT THEY WERE DISTURBING THE CLASS. SO I WOULD SHOUT "READ IT IN YOUR HEAD!!!"

thats so raven smh GIF

But no I've changed! I know now that it helps in their thinking and reading process because in writing, many processes are required at the same time. Lastly, my group demonstrated how digital story-telling can be used to overcome the challenge of writing lacking prosidy, body language and facial expression. 

Wanna see it?

 dumb full house GIF


But guys before you start, if you are a teacher be sure have knowledge of the Trends in Writing and keep up-to-date on any new trend so as to implement them. Also, choose trends that are appropriate to the writing needs of your students. Furthermore, be vigilant in observing any challenge(s) so as to use specific trends/strategies to overcome them. My final advice is don't introduce a new trend until your students have mastered the one before!

So guys this may have been a mouthful but I'm sure you enjoyed it. So don't be a stranger feel free to comment below, let's chat! 

Come back next week to read more on Quinn Sinting!

see ya goodbye GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals




4 comments:

  1. Very interesting read ! lol. The advice to other teachers were quite brilliant and ill definitely steal those for myself ! haha Thanks for sharing.

    P.S you've mentioned two of my favs but it's okay, I'll share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I agree to that demonstrating the trends helps me in understanding the trends and creating the mini handbook and recording what we observe helps to remember. I love the same trends like we i find them interesting. Also, i look that you confess to what you use to do.

    ReplyDelete