Monday, December 10, 2018

Developing a writing philosophy for teaching.

  • “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” – Toni Morrison
This quote is so powerful, often time there a books students want to read or wish they could find but no one has written them yet. I think to myself what if they stop looking for books that people have written and start create books that others would never think of. They become their own authors and the things they look for as readers they will definitely find as they would cater to their needs as well as children or adults all over the word. 

Personally, I think children learn to write not by just learning the process or the aspects of writing but by first reading. When I was younger, I read a lot of books. 
Well for me they were lol. 
I learned how to write by reading how others wrote. Smart right?

So yes, children do learn how to write when we teach them the steps to producing great pieces but reading great pieces is a major element of becoming a great writer. We must not only write our work but we must read the work of there great writers in order to grow. Teaching students the process of writing and allowing them to be exposed to various genres of writing expands their vocabulary, their imagination, the development or various writing skills and so much more. 
As an instructor I will do just that. I will teach and practice with my students, allow them to learn from their mistakes as well as teach them how to not make these mistakes again. As an instructor I will provide my students with opportunities to read various genres so they can focus on their preferred style of writing as well as know how to write in any genre that may come their way. 


I have many goals for my students as writers, some of which are: 

Help Students Find Their Voice

Help Students Articulate and Follow Their Values


  Increase their motivation to write. 

  Help students to Independently write great pieces.


They keep to accomplishing this goals is to do what I previously mentioned above as well as use the strategies that I have learned to help my students become the great writers I know they can be. These strategies will make writing easier for them allowing them to be more relaxed and comfortable thus causing their love for writing to grow rather than seeing it as just another aspect of learning. Writing will become a part of them, something they love, a way of expressing their feelings, their opinions, a way of being THEM.


2 comments:

  1. I agree Hannah because reading books will help students to become good writers because it would aid them in learning how to express themselves. Also, teachers should motivate the students and provide them with feedback to aid and motivate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! students can become the authors of their own books once we as teachers create that environment for them. I really love the goal of finding their voice Teacher Byers because students often tend to feel intimidated because it doesn't sound like the teacher's or another peer's story... #thumbsup

    ReplyDelete