Saturday, December 1, 2018

Writing and reading Connection & Philosophy of Writing

Time to Share!

Today, I will be sharing unit 3 and 4  with you guys, which are  Teaching Writing and Reading Connection, & Developing a Philosophy of Writing for Teaching.


In Unit 3: Teaching Writing and the Reading Connection, I learnt that reading books could help aid teachers in teaching grammar in Language Arts lesson. After completing an activity I learnt that reading books could be used to teach lesson such as grammar. For example I had selected a book "Look at that !" This book could be used to teach Punctuation and vocabulary. I find that this information gained is beneficial to me as a pre-service teacher because I could use the information learnt into my classroom in the future. 


good idea think GIF by Seinabo Sey

Then we were giving some guidelines for writing a Personal Narrative. I was given the opportunity to write a story catering for students in the primary grade level within 15 minutes. I wrote a story about "My 10th Birthday Gift", some of my classmate shared their pieces and I really enjoyed them. As they were reading and feedback was giving to them I was able gather more ideas to insert in my writing piece and insert certain aspect in my story. Basically I used they feedback as a guide for me to complete my piece.

imagine love live GIF

After, I completed my story at home I gathered my primary age group cousins and neighbor to hear my story that I had created. They enjoyed it, I had to read it over and over for them, they had a good laugh. After reading my story to them I would say that I had achieve my purpose of my story which was to entertain them.


eric cartman laughing GIF by South Park


I like the fact that we could use dialect in our story, I felt like the dialect helped in grabbing the students attention. I recommend that teachers allow the students to use dialect in their narrative pieces to encourage them to express themselves in they writing. While I was reading the story for these students they began correcting me stating that it is  incorrect because I have dialect in it and so on.


Overall, the purpose of my narrative piece "My 10th Birthday Gift" is to entertain the students because it is a real life story of a incident that occurred which would aid the students with a little laugh.


next season 8 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

 Also, I was engaged in a activities in which I learnt that on topic can cater for different purpose. We were giving a topic "Sex Education" my group members and I had to complete a writing a piece in which we had to entertain grade 5 and 6 about sex education. It was a bit difficult because we had to be careful of words we selected and we have to actually bare it in mind while writing the piece.  Few times we have to correct the story so that it could cater for the students.
season 3 book GIF


However, after sharing with the class they enjoy it and it was perfect for the grade level and the purpose. At first I thought the topic was not appropriate, however after hearing the different pieces catering for different purpose and audience. I was amazed to see that the topic "Sex Education" could cater for different purpose and age group.  

This information is beneficial to me because, I would be able to apply the knowledge learnt into my writing pieces  by ensuring that  I select the appropriate word choices and the length.In the further, I would ensure to be mindful of my word choices when writing pieces for primary grade level.

oh yeah ok GIF by Mauro Gatti



NOW ON TO THE NEXT UNIT !

In Unit 4: Developing a Philosophy of Writing for Teaching, we did Genre, Styles, Purpose, Audience and Teaching and Learning Activities. I learnt about the writing styles for six Genres and their purpose. For example I learnt that a Story has writing styles such as frozen, formal, consultative, casual and intimate writing styles. This is important because I would be able to encourage and help my students in practicing different writing styles in different genre in the future. For example I could have them writing letters in casual form, consultative and more. This would benefit the students because they will become aware of the different ways letters could be used for.

helena bonham carter speech GIF by BAFTA




    Also, my group members and I were engaged in activity. We had to find six activities for teaching Poetry and explained them to the whole class. As a group we worked together and research two activities individually to get a total of 6 activities. I found Poetry close read which guides students to create a poem by giving steps and  Music to teach poetry this involves having the students pick they favorite song and  share the lyrics in the way they would read a poem.



    After, my other classmates share information on activities for other genre, I love all the activities which are display in front of me. I think these activities would benefit students because they will be learning at the same time while having fun also using activities would help the students remember. I recommend that teachers should utilize these activities to aid the in completing the different genres. 

moonlighting cybill shepherd GIF



happy see ya GIF by Gatorade

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all of these activities ad it's so satisfying knowing you could learn while you're having fun. Each of these strategies we did during class even our little party with the great Tian would help our students to become such great writers and I cannot wait until we get to use them in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait too Hannah I would surely utilize them in the classroom .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes indeed!!! great lessons and mad fun! Weren't you amazed at how we could use reading books to bring out so many aspects of language. I'm still amazed at this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I was, I would be using reading books in my language arts lesson.

    ReplyDelete