Writing Philosophy
Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go. (E.L. Doctorow)
Writing is a activity or skill which involve composing text to publish. As a pre-service teacher, I believe students learnt to write from frequently practicing and development of their fine motor skills. At the early stage for child development, children will learn to write with the use of sand box, play dough and the tracing of letters so that they can have practice and develop their writing skills. Also, they will use paper scissors, rubber bands, buttons to develop their fine motor skills which would aid them with their writing process. As the child get older there begin to practice to write cursive. Then their will learn to write independently and also learn to write different types of writing such as narrative, descriptive,persuasive ,poetry and expository as they go thru the different grade level. This involves frequently practicing to get a better understanding of the writing, also feed back from they teacher is also important so that they could improve every time they are engaged in the writing process.
I could be apart of the writing process by utilizing different strategies and activities to aid students in their writing. Also, I could give students steps and guidelines when completing the different types of writing styles. For example narrative includes characters and setting, literary techniques, chronology and a moral to the story. Also, the I could use activities such as original short stories, personal narratives and retelling of stories to aid the students in the writing of stories. These activities would aid students to bring out the purpose of narrative writing which is to encourage students to retell familiar stories.
As a teacher I expect my students to become good writer in the different types of writing styles, as I read their different pieces I am being inform, persuade, a picture is drew in my mind and they are expressing themselves in their writing. Also, I want my students to have a passion for writing, as I am reading their pieces the words are jumping out at me.
As a teacher in the future, I would ensure to give students alot of practice and give them a lot of feedback to help improve in their writing in the future.The more practice students are provided with the better they would become because they will be able to work on their weakness and improve. Also, I will ensure to motivate them by creating an environment to bring out their creativity and I will also use activities to aid the different genre.
I agree ! Students do learn from continuous practice, we see it everyday. They also learn from reading and it would be great if our classes help students to make that connection between reading and writing. The world would have so many authors ! Amazing !
ReplyDeleteI agree Hannah! Teacher should also create small classroom library in their classroom to encourage and motivate the students to engage in reading activities.
ReplyDeleteI really loved that you mentioned as a goal that you want your students to have a passion for writing because many students do not love to write so yes creating that environment to promote writing will definitely help you accomplish that goal.
ReplyDeleteOh yess ! I think it is important for students to have a passion for their writing. It is important for students to have intrinsic motivation than extrinsic motivation.
ReplyDelete