Thursday, December 6, 2018

Writing - I am a stage. I am a process. I am a trait.



Okay, so today we are talking about Writing.
There are four stages:

  * Emergent Stage - At this stage some of the characteristics are scribbling, tracing drawing, developing fine motor skills, developing speech, developing ideas orally etc.

* Early Stage - This involves, writing via invented spelling, telling their own stories, adding more structure to their thinking, spell words by analogy, learning to make comparisons etc. 

* Transitional Stage - This involves spelling words correctly, writing in more genres, greater control over capitalization & punctuation, developing ideas and organization & more.

* Fluent Stage - At this stage, conventional spelling, greater control over their ideas, critique their own writing and that of others etc. 

There are five processes:

                                    Me:    Can you guess what they are?


Y'all:


Alright, Alright, I got you.

They are: 
 * Prewriting - Generating and brainstorming ideas.

* Drafting - Writing ideas as a coherent whole.

* Revising - Reviewing and refining ideas. 

* Editing- Conventions; word choice, spelling, grammar, punctuation. (CUPS)

*Publishing - Sharing the finished piece. 


Last but not leastttttt 


THE TRAITS

 *Ideas- Overall message and meaning.

*Organization- Structure of the writing.

*Voice- Writer's passion can also be style.

*Word Choice- Parts of speech writers choose to convey.

*Sentence Fluency-The way sentences sound to the ear, grammar, phrasing etc.

*Conventions- Making writing connect and understandable. (spelling, capital letters etc.)

*Presentation- How the writing appears. 



Using this new knowledge my group was given the task of choosing a trait to develop using one activity/strategy.
We chose drafting & editing & focused on Ideas.
We had an entireeeee birthday party  OKURRRR ! 


We demonstrated each element and our classmates were able to understand what our trait was and how we implemented it.

I suggest that teachers do as we did, sometimes students feel overwhelmed while they are learning and new information are more effective if they are not thrown at students all at once. Teachers could pick one trait to focus on which will allow students to master it and become familiar and comfortable as well. Teachers can also teach these traits to students in an engaging exciting way. usually when students are having fun during lessons they learn a lot more and don't feel as though they are being stifled by information which in the end allows the information to settle more in their memory when they are able to make real life connections and not just pencil to paper.

THANK YOU FOR VIEWING !
SEE YOU NEXT TIME


2 comments:

  1. I agree Hannah, because when students are exciting and engaged they would remember. Also, after we completed the activity I actually saw the connection between trait and writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl that party was lit indeed! I loved learning about the process, stages and traits of writing. I agree that classes should be engaging and that each stage or trait should be taught one at a time. This will ensure that the students are comfortable in each stage as you rightfully said. Great!

    ReplyDelete